Back to Threads

Cell Phone Plan

Post by eliana teixeira

Mon Feb 25, 2013 02:17 am

Hi guys! I need to find a phone carrier for my iPhone... I just moved to Shanghai! Could you please recommend a company to buy a SIM card and to commit to a cell phone plan? Thanks!
eliana teixeira
Newbie Member

Post by Pad tikki

Mon Feb 25, 2013 04:16 am

There are only three major carriers ... China mobile (most towers and service centers in sh), china unicom (more popular in north but fastest internet), and china telecom (least used but has best reception which is highly debatable). At the airport, have them look at ur phone and they can sell u a sim card... Which will be one of the three companies. Its basically a card with prepaid minutes and data. When u run out, just go to any convenience store and ask for a minutes card to charge up. I find going pre-paid cards in china to be cheaper.... But if you find you use data more, then switch to a monthly plan based on those companies (they have 24-7 hotlines to get u on a plan) but most expats use prepaid charging ... Cheaper for most use cases unless u use data continually or call outside provinces (where special plans would make better sense)
Pad tikki
Newbie Member

Post by Pad tikki

Mon Feb 25, 2013 04:18 am

For iphones, i recommend china mobile... Most services too
Pad tikki
Newbie Member

Post by eliana teixeira

Mon Feb 25, 2013 06:20 am

Thank you! I'll try to look online and find a store nearby.
eliana teixeira
Newbie Member

Back to Threads